, , ,

Spent some time today removing trees from their winter storage places, and found this Vicary Privet with swelling buds (along with evergreen leaves).

I collected this privet in 2015 and made the sloppy cuts you see. It was placed too deep in a large nursery pot that didn’t allow me to get a good look at the trunk structure. Today, I moved it to this training box and trimmed it down (12-16 inches) to what you see here. This should allow me access to make some decisions, some cleaner cuts, and perhaps even do some carving this year. 

It will be a long term project, but the large base offers some great potential.